WHAT IS COALEX?
COALEX is an automated legal research data base maintained by the Office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement (OSMRE) on the Mead Data Central LEXIS computer system. The Coalex data base is listed under "Surface Mining Materials" in the Environment Library.
The COALEX Search Service was an informational research service which was provided by the Interstate Mining Compact Commission (IMCC) under a grant from OSMRE for many years. The search service has been discontinued. Past completed reports are available at request.
THE COALEX SEARCH SERVICE
The IMCC provided the COALEX Search Service to the states from 1984 to 2010. Over 300 reports dealing with various topics were compiled. Four different types of reports were issued:
WHAT TYPES OF INFORMATION ARE AVAILABLE?
- State Inquiry Reports are prepared in response to specific requests from state attorneys and regulatory personnel.
- Comparison Reports address a topic of general interest, usually a regulatory issue, and make a side-by-side comparison of primacy state regulations, highlighting significant differences.
- Significant Issue Reports consist of in-depth reports on topics of general interest, including legislative and regulatory history and case law.
The COALEX library consists of numerous types of documents pertaining to the Surface Mining Control and Reclamation Act of 1977 (SMCRA). Specifically, the following types of information are available through the COALEX library:
Additional information available through the LEXIS computer system includes:
- Legislative history of SMCRA
- OSMRE regulations (current and superseded)
- State surface mining statutes and regulations from initial program approval through 1995
- Interior Board of Land Appeals (IBLA) and Administrative Law Judge (ALJ) decisions
- OSMRE policy directives (current and superseded)
By utilizing these files, specific information pertaining to various topics of interest can be researched.
- State and Federal court decisions
- Federal Register notices for all agencies
- Selected state statutes, administrative codes and administrative decisions
WHAT IS THE "TOPIC SUMMARY LIST"?
The following "Topic Summary List" is an index of all COALEX research reports completed. Reports are listed and identified chronologically by number. The reports are available to be downloaded from the Office of Surface Mining's website www.osmre.gov. If particular attachments are required, contact Greg Conrad or Beth Botsis at the IMCC offices Ph: 703.709.8654. Many attachments to the reports are quite voluminous and therefore are not included online. The reports are available free of charge (the cost of postage may be charged for inquiries by persons other than state personnel when bulky attachments are included). Some of the regulatory material is also available on the OSMRE website.